Continuing the #DSMA theme of "Getting to know you," here are my answers to the 48 questions from http://diabetessocmed.com/2013/48-things-about-me/
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
Yes. I have two great-aunts both named Marie, one on each side of the family.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Four days ago when I realized suddenly changing to a high deductible health insurance plan meant I could no longer afford insulin. I lost my prescription drug benefit until the deductible was met and there was no way I could afford to meet it. Running out of insulin really scared me. (My parents helped me meet the deductible so I stopped crying. Thanks Dad and Louise. I love you so much.)
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
No. I got an unsatisfactory grade in handwriting as a child. The only failing grade I ever received.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Smoked turkey breast rolled up with cream cheese. Mmmm.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
I have one daughter.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
I would be friends with me. I love to laugh and care about others.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Only if I could do it from one inch off the ground.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Apple Jacks. Although last time I ate them my blood glucose was so high I felt like my brain was going to leak out of my ears. So I think I am going to have to pass.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Is that what laces are for? I had no idea you were supposed to untie shoes until just now.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Let’s see… I survived a nine and a half hour surgery where my chest was split in half with an electric saw. When I woke up it felt like a gorilla wearing golf cleats was dancing on my chest. I have survived 23 cycles of back to back IV chemotherapy. If I wasn’t strong, I would be dead.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Ben and Jerry’s Karamel Sutra with a side of insulin.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
15. RED OR PINK?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
How I handle stress. I freak out and stay freaked out for longer than I want to. I'd like to flick a switch and stop being so sensitive, but there is no switch.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
My mom. She died January 31, 2007. I wish I could play cello and piano duets with her again. Her love of music passed to my hands.
18. WHAT IS THE TECHNIQUE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON THE MOST?
Getting the left joystick and the right joystick lined up so I can press the R2 button and break open the treasure chests in Assassin’s Creed 3. Also bowing the cello more smoothly when up high.
19. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Soft purple slipper booties. It’s 2 degrees outside.
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
Roast chicken, homemade macaroni and cheese with a crunchy topping and spinach. Blood sugar is 118.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Acoustic Eidolon Stonehaven
I told Hannah those notes weren't on my cello. She took Sir Barclay and proved me wrong while I laughed like a loon. Ha! LOVE YOU MUCH Hannah and Joe. Hugs!
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Chocolate chip cookies baking, lilacs, autumn leaves, snow, chocolate.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS TO YOU?
Less and less important every hour.
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Mountain hideaway with snow on the roof. More trees than people and more stars than cars.
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Football and rugby.
27. HAIR COLOR?
Dark brown with, ahem, gray. After 23 cycles of chemo having hair is good enough for me.
28. EYE COLOR?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
No. I wear glasses.
30. FAVORITE FOOD?
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Bea @crankypancreas knows the answer to this. NONE. I forget to watch movies. I watch Warehouse 13 and Naruto Shippuden instead. Does that make me a dork?
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
A black sweatshirt.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Winter all the way. Starts to sing…
I'm Mister White Christmas
I'm Mister Snow
I'm Mister Icicle
I'm Mister Ten Below
Friends call me Snow Miser
What ever I touch
Turns to snow in my clutch
I'm too much!
35. FAVORITE DESSERT?
36. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
I have MG. Playing the cello is enough exercise for me.
37. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
38. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
Other than my own book draft, Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn. (OK, yes, I am a dork. I admit it. Please don’t shove me in a locker.)
39. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
I don’t have a mouse pad.
40. FAVORITE SOUND?
My cello. Hannah's cello. My family laughing. My dog snoring. The soft sound of my pillow when I lie down. Ice shards in the lake when waves jingle them together. It sounds like wind chimes. Sandhill Cranes when they fly over head. That's more than one thing. I am a musician. I meet the world ears first.
41. FAVORITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
I like a variety of music.
42. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
43. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I have played the cello for over 30 years. Click the link on the right and take a listen if you would like. That’s me and Sir Barclay the cello singing together. I also write and love public speaking.
44. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
45. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
46. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HOUSE?
47. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR?
48. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 48 QUESTIONS?
It was fun!